*MUHAMMAD: THE UNIQUELY SUPERSTITIOUS PROPHET*
*# THE MYTH:* Muhammad did away with primitive superstition and belief in Magic.
"Our Prophet (peace be upon him) enlightened the world and replaced Arab mythology and superstition with scientific inquiry and truth."
# THE TRUTH
Although Muslims like to believe that Islam is a mature Abrahamic religion that has no place for archaic superstition, the truth is that Muhammad believed in black magic and curses. This is documented in the Quran and Hadith.
The Quran contains several references to magic and witchcraft. According to Surah 2:102, magic was taught to men by demons. Moses himself was able to practice magic (Surah 7:116). Muhammad was told to “seek refuge” from witchcraft in Surah 113, a passage that is supposed to be recited six times a day by devout Muslims.
In the Hadith, Muhammad establishes the “evil eye” as a fact:
Ibn 'Abbas reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: The influence of an evil eye is a fact; if anything would precede the destiny it would be the influence of an evil eye, and when you are asked to take bath (as a cure) from the influence of an evil eye, you should take bath. (Muslim 5427)
The enemies of Muhammad were even able to cast spells over him (or so he claimed):
"A'isha reported that a Jew from among the Jews of Banu Zuraiq who was called Labid b. al-A'sam cast spell upon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) with the result that he (under the influence of the spell) felt that he had been doing something whereas in fact he had not been doing that. (This state of affairs lasted) until one day or during one night Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) made supplication (to dispel its effects." (Muslim 5428). (Bukhari 54:490repeats the same story and adds that Muhammad was “bewitched”).
Bukhari 71:660 also goes into further detail, saying that Muhammad was made to think that he had sexual relations with his wives when he had not (due to the magic). The passage also lists the materials used to cast the spell, which included a lock of his own hair – reminiscent of voodoo practices.
# SATAN LAUGHS AT YAWNING
"Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Yawning is from Satan and if anyone of you yawns, he should check his yawning as much as possible, for if anyone of you (during the act of yawning) should say: 'Ha', Satan will laugh at him." - (Sahih Bukhari 4:54:509)
# ALLAH LIKES SNEEZING BUT HATES YAWNING
Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Allah likes sneezing and dislikes yawning, so if someone sneezes and then praises Allah, then it is obligatory on every Muslim who heard him, to say: May Allah be merciful to you (Yar-hamuka-l-lah). But as regards yawning, it is from satan, so one must try one's best to stop it, if one says 'Ha' when yawning, satan will laugh at him." - (Sahih Bukhari 8:73:242)
What superstitions do you have Muslims? Is it right for a religious person to be superstitious? Whatever your superstitions, you can't beat Muhammad. Consider this:
"Narrated Aisha: (the wife of the Prophet) I bought a cushion having on it pictures (of animals). When Allah's Apostle saw it, he stood at the door and did not enter. I noticed the sign of disapproval on his face and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle. What sin have I committed?' Allah's Apostle said. "What is this cushion?" I said, "I have bought it for you so that you may sit on it and recline on it." Allah's Apostle said, "The makers of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be said to them, 'Give life to what you have created (i.e., these pictures).' " The Prophet added, "The Angels of (Mercy) do not enter a house in which there are pictures (of animals)." (Sahih Bukhari 7.110)
# "HOUSE" SNAKES ARE NOT TO BE KILLED OUTRIGHT - THEY MIGHT BE MUSLIM!
From Muslim's collection of Hadith Book 026, Number 5558:
"Asma' b. 'Ubaid reported about a person who was called as-Sa'ib having said: We visited Abu Sa'id Khudri. When we had been sitting (with him) we heard a stir under his bed. When we looked we found a big snake. ... Allah's Messenger is reported to have said: Verily in these houses there live aged (snakes), so when you see one of them, make life hard for it for three days, and if it goes away (well and good), otherwise kill it for (in that case) it would be a nonbeliever. And he (the Holy Prophet) said (to his Companions): Go and bury your companion (who had died by the snake bite)."
Sahih Muslim, Book 026, Number 5559:
"Abu Sa'id Khudri reported Allah's Messenger having said: There is a group of Jinns in Medina who accepted Islam, so he who would see anything from these occupants should warn him three times; and if he appears after that, he should kill him for he is a Satan."
Sunan of Abu Dawud, Book 41, Number 5236:
"Narrated Abu Sa'id al-Khudri: Muhammad ibn Abu Yahya said that his father told that he and his companion went to Abu Sa'id al-Khudri to pay a sick visit to him. He said: Then we came out from him and met a companion of ours who wanted to go to him. We went ahead and sat in the mosque. He then came back and told us that he heard Abu Sa'id al-Khudri say: The Apostle of Allah said: Some snakes are jinn; so when anyone sees one of them in his house, he should give it a warning three times. If it return (after that), he should kill it, for it is a devil."
Reading the Hadith one is struck over and over again at Muhammad’s extreme superstition. Fear and superstition permeated his theology. Some of it so bizarre as to be laughable. Now, for some strange reason Muhammad believed that Jinn had received Islam and morphed into snakes. You can’t blame these Muslim snakes for wanting to live in homes can you? But, Muhammad didn’t want these Muslim snakes to live in human Muslim homes, so he ordered his followers to warn and trouble the snakes in order to drive them out.
Aren’t people who carry on like this put into psychiatric care?
You don’t need to be a herpetologist to know that Muhammad had some serious problems.
Here are some issues to be considered:
1) Not all outdoor snakes are harmful. Many of them are in fact quite beneficial to humanity. They kill destructive pests like rodents. What’s the point in killing beneficial snakes?
2) Second, what does that say with respect to Islam and the destruction of a beneficial species of animal?
3) Third, isn’t it quite bizarre for people to be talking with snakes? Muhammad was a superstitious man, we've previously seen in the Quran he has ants talking about Solomon. But here, the stakes are higher – i.e. they are Muslim snakes. I’d hate to see a Muslim try talking with a poisonous snake. Definitely not a good idea. It might make for a good comedy, or “world’s most dangerous stunts” type show, but certainly not a good idea for a real life situation.
4) Snakes have poor hearing. If Muhammad had really been led by God wouldn’t he have used a more reliable form of communication with them? After all, the motive was to communicate effectively with the snakes and warn them or drive them away.
5) Should we assume that snakes, at least the snakes in question, understood Arabic? Especially the Arabic dialect of the home in which he chose to live?
6) Normally snakes don’t “live” in homes. If Jinn have morphed into snakes, would they would live as snakes? Snakes avoid contact with humans.
7) Do Muslims really think that by speaking to a snake and referencing Solomon and Noah, that that would prohibit the snake from biting you or anyone else? Are there Muslims willing to give it a try? I’m sure there are many cobras in India that are available and up for it.
# OTHER MUHAMMAD SUPERSTITIONS
● A child resembles whichever parent climaxed first (Bukhari 55:546)
● Spoons should be covered before going to bed (Bukhari 69:527)
● Oversleeping is caused by Satan urinating in one’s ear (Bukhari 54:492)
● The bathroom should be entered with the left foot first. (Fiqh - Islamic law)
● Keeping a dog as a pet will cost the owner a celestial reward (Bukhari 67:389)
● A man should spit only to his left (Muslim7149)
● The penis should be held with the left hand only when urinating (Muslim 512)
● A person should wipe their butt with an odd number of stones after defecating (Bukhari4:163)
● Satan sleeps in ones nose, so water should be snorted each day (Bukhari 54:516)
● No one should lie on their back with one foot crossing the other.
● Bad dreams can be warded off by spitting over the left side of the bed (Bukhari 87:115)
● The right shoe should be put on before the left (Muslim 514)
● No one should enter the house through the back door (Surah 2:189)
● Muhammad also told Muslims which way to face when they defecate (back towards Mecca, per Sahih Muslim 507) and which direction they should be buried (facing toward Mecca).
● Halal slaughtered animals are required to be facing Mecca when they are killed.
● Muhammad also told Muslims where to turn when they retreat (back to Mecca) and in which direction they are to be buried (in the direction of Mecca) (Sahih Muslim 507)
Perhaps the greatest abundance (which has caused countless monetary costs and loss of life for Muslims) is that the faithful must travel to Mecca and orbit a meteorite seven times. This practice was directly lent out by the Arab heathen, who found even Muhammad's followers strange (Muslim 2915).
The list goes on.
One is bound to wonder are all Muslims today as superstitious as their prophet? The answer of course is a resounding yes. All ritual is superstition. The entirety of Islamic doctrine and practice is founded upon it.
# WHAT DOES THE BIBLE TEACH?
It will come as no surprise to know that on this subject as with everything else Muhammad's life was completely at odds with God's word.
Superstition is based on the ignorant faith of an object having magical powers. Another word to describe superstition is “idolatry.” The Bible does not support the idea of things occurring by chance, but nothing is done outside of God’s sovereign control. Either He causes or allows everything in keeping with His divine plan (Acts 4:28; Ephesians 1:10).
There are many types of superstitions in the world, ranging from the benign—such as not walking under a ladder, not treading on the pavement cracks, throwing coins for good luck into a wishing well—to the occult practices of astrology, black magic, divination, voodoo and sorcery.
Scripture condemns those who practice astrology (Deuteronomy 4:19), magic, divination and sorcery (2 Kings 21:6, Isaiah 2:6). Idolatry is also forbidden, and no one who practices it will enter the Kingdom of God (Revelation 21:27). These types of practices are extremely dangerous because they open the minds of the practitioners to the influence of the devil. First Peter 5:8 warns us to “be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
We should get our faith not from objects or rituals of man-made origin, but from the one true God who gives eternal life. “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority” (Colossians 2:8-10).
To be superstitious is idolatry and it is trusting in things other than God. It is a slap in the face to Him showing that you don’t trust Him or believe in His Words.
If God is for us who or what can ever be against us? God is in control of all situations never ever put your faith in silly myths, astrology, or other demonic things like witchcraft, but put your faith in Christ alone. If you want evidence of God in the world just look at the transformed lives of people such as Nabeel Qureshi here below, not for empty meaningless signs like the name Allah "written" in the clouds above.
Muslims when will you give up your useless 7th Century superstitious idolatry and put your trust in Jesus the living God who is the Lord of your life?
# BIBLE REFERENCES
Proverbs 3:5-7: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord, and turn away from evil."
1 Timothy 4:6-7: "If you point these things out to the brothers and sisters, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, nourished on the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed. Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives’ tales; rather, train yourself to be godly."
2 Kings 21:2-6: "He did evil in the eyes of the LORD, following the detestable practices of the nations the LORD had driven out before the Israelites. He rebuilt the high places his father Hezekiah had destroyed; he also erected altars to Baal and made an Asherah pole, as Ahab king of Israel had done. He bowed down to all the starry hosts and worshiped them. He built altars in the temple of the LORD, of which the LORD had said, “In Jerusalem I will put my Name.” In the two courts of the temple of the LORD, he built altars to all the starry hosts. He sacrificed his own son in the fire, practiced divination, sought omens, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, arousing his anger."
Colossians 2:8-10: "See to it that no one enslaves you through philosophy and empty deceit according to human tradition, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to the Messiah, because all the essence of deity inhabits him in bodily form. And you have been filled by him, who is the head of every ruler and authority."
MAKE NO MISTAKE: #SUPERSTITION_is_IDOLATRY #JESUS_is_GOD
Interesting piece in the Spectator on Islam and black magic and superstition through history ...