Did Abraham Observe the Sabbath?
“Have you not known? Have you not heard, that the everlasting God, YHWH, the Creator of the ends of the earth, faints not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.”
- Isaiah 40:28
“And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day. But Jesus answered them, ‘My Father works hitherto, and I work.’”
- John 5:16–17
Sabbath Not Commanded
The Book of Genesis Is Law
Did Israel Keep the Sabbath in Egypt?
When Was the Weekly Sabbath Day Commanded?
“Moreover also I gave them [Israel] my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them [Israel], that they might know that I am YHWH that sanctifies them.”
- Ezekiel 20:12
- God’s voice told Abraham to leave his country for another land, and Abraham obeyed the voice of God (Genesis 12:1–4).
- Isaac charged Jacob not to marry any Canaanite woman (Genesis 28:1), as Abraham formerly followed God’s charges in the same thing (Genesis 24:1–4).
- God commanded Abraham to walk in the ways of justice and judgment (Genesis 18:19) and he kept those commands.
- God’s statutes concerning the building of altars and the sacrificing of animals were obeyed by Abraham (Genesis 12:7; 22:9).
- God also gave a law to Abraham that he and all his children were to be circumcised (Genesis 17:9–14), and he diligently performed that law.
Edited by David Sielaff, January 2010